home about me our home

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Blue & White In A Summer Garden

 






When the seasons change I begin to look around at making changes in my wardrobe, home and yard.

Summer is upon us and I love to put blue in my garden. I think by adding blue in the garden it makes for a cooler feeling atmosphere with our hot weather that we have here in California.


Keukenhof Gardens Photographed by Bob Low

I am going to our local nursery tomorrow to find some blue and white combinations in flowers to add to my yard.



Keukenhof Gardens Photographed by Bob Low

I already have a good base going in my backyard with my color choices in my home and furniture…….


I chose to paint the back of my home a soft sage green and accent it with the bright cobalt blue.


I thought it would be fun to see some other pretty blues in the garden to inspire you and me!!


A large pot turned on its side with simple planting of blue lobelia spilling out. I could do this!!

Simple blue, and white pansies add a touch of blue to the garden as well as the bright blue pot holding the Japanese Maple.



I hope I can find a nice variety of blue flowering plants to add to my back yard. This image shows how using one color can really make a lovely statement.







By adding blue, and white garden stools and a striped rug this area becomes a cool retreat from the summer heat.


Clustering blue and white porcelain gives this outdoor space an elegant feel.


Painting this ornate mirror blue is a wonderful backdrop to the green of the plants and looks great on the red brick. 

By adding a few accents of blue to your yard it can appear cooler.


When ever blue and white are paired together the space will have an elegant look.


Blue and white curtains make a wonderful ethereal look. Notice the large tassels holding back the curtains.

I can’t wait to go to the nursery tomorrow to see what blue flowering plants I can find for my yard.

I love to mix blue and white and lime green foliage together. Adding texture with plants is a great way to add interest to your yard.

If you would like to see more of Blue in the Garden you can visit my pinterest boards HERE!

What colors do you like to add to your yard for the summer season?

“Enjoy the Process!” Of:

Setting the mood for your yard with color.

 

22 comments:

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Kathysue - you know I already love your garden and your backyard. Anything you do to it will only make me wish I was there visiting with you again. You showed some beautiful inspirational pics. I especially love the painted mirror. I would love to add one of those somewhere in my garden or maybe on my front porch.

I can't wait to see what you do. xoxo, barb

NanaDiana said...

Kathysue- Those colors are beautiful together. I love what a surprise the back of your house is~color-wise. Have fun shopping for some blue plants!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

So pretty, Kathysue! Of course, my fav is YOURS!...hugs...Debbie

The enchanted home said...

Love the pop of color...it looks fabulous and agree blue and white is always so pretty in the yard and garden against the lush rich green!

Karen said...

The blue flowers with the yellow centers are amazing, I've never seen that variety. I love that you transition your favorite color scheme from your interior to the exterior of your home. Good luck finding just the right flowers for your garden.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous post. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the blue mirror against the brick... heart be still. xo

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Beautiful images, Kathysue. I love the images of your lawn. Just gorgeous.
Teresa
xoxo

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Hi Kathy Sue, your backyard is gorgeous! I could spend hours out there. Love your cushions, would love to find them in red for the front porch. Thanks for swinging by.
hugs ~lynne~

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh Kathysue, your yard looks fantastic. I so miss our pool and right now one side is a total mess, DH is getting the garden ready for fall and wow, can he make a mess. Love your beautiful blue and how lush and green everything is. Hugs, marty

carolyn bradford said...

What a gorgeous post and fabulous gardens! I'm so glad you found my blog and I already follow you on Pinterest so that's good! I look forward to seeing many more of your lovely posts! Have a great day!
Carolyn

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Your garden always looks so well groomed and so elegant. Good luck with finding new blue plants, I hope you will share the results with us.

Love the painted mirror!

Victoria said...

What beautiful examples, Kathysue. I am certain whatever you choose will be a lovely addition to your already lovely back yard.
Best...Victoria

michele said...

beautiful beautiful blues! i love the shade you have chosen for poolside lovely!

smiles to you.

michele

vignette design said...

Good luck at the nursery! I hope you find lots of blue and white flowers for your lovely garden! ~Delores

Linda in AZ * said...

*** SIMPLY B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L!!!...(Just like you, my sweet pal!!!)... EVERYthing was/is just FAB, and soooooo truly & entirely inspirational!!!

Annnnnd, funny... yours truly here has been planning/buying, etc all week in anticipation of actually "working WITH" the gardeners TODAY... I'm dirty n' filthy n' having SOOOOO much fun!!!

WE (well, "I"... I don't reeeeally think Jim cares thaaaat much, as long as Mama's happy, right?!?!) too have gone all whites n' blue (mostly navy, but with some turquoise placed in strategic spots for a nice "change/mix/teeny bit of variety")this year, and I've gotta say, it's looking REEEALLY rather stunning & I think, happily, mahhhhhvelous ALREADY!!! Can't WAIT til we finish, get it all cleaned up, and THEN get M*E cleaned up so Jim n' I can enjoy a relaxing "surf n' turf" tonight!!!

L*O*V*E*R*L*Y POSTING, Sweetie~~~ Just L*O*V*E*R*L*Y!!!!!!

BREAK TIME'S OVER~~~ it's "BACK OUTSIDE TO WORK" FOR ME!!!

Hugs,
Linda
bellesmom1234@comcast.net

SHERRY HART said...

Blue and white just go so nicely with everything!!! Can't wait to see what you come up with....I can't think of too many right now!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Your yard and landscape is just gorgeous!! Have fun shopping tomorrow, a morning looking for plants makes me so happy.

Kathysue said...

Just tried for last half hour to comment and blogger wouldn't let me...so frustrating! Anyway, just wanted to tell you that your backyard is gorgeous! Just gorgeous!

Really love that white planter with succulents and hurricane on your table. Did you make it? Can't wait to see what blue flowers you come up with! ;)

From Donnamae

Lee said...

I just want the rabbits to stop eating my vegies! Any suggestions for deterring those critters? Blue and white coyote decoys?

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Love your garden. So beautiful with all the flowers and love all the blue you added.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Wow, my friend! I'm ready for summer! Isn't it the happiest season? :-)


Have a great day, sweetie.

xo


Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

I love these inspirational images! I just bought blue planters for my deck and decided to go with a navy/white/orange color scheme for my deck, I love the look!

Jessica
stayathomeista.com