home about me our home

Saturday, August 28, 2010

This Made Me Stop and Look Twice!!

Do you ever see something at a glance and then your brain kicks into gear and you say, “Wait a minute, that is interesting!”
This image did that to me……..
wall grouping

wall grouping
Of course, the black, green and white combination caught my eye. That is a given. What surprised me was all the rough textures and natural elements that caught my eye. I usually prefer a softer finer lined combination in a vignette.

 To be honest I probably would not use anything, but the plants in my home. Did you notice the highs and lows? All in all I think this is a totally interesting wall grouping. It is completely outside my box and I think that is what is so interesting. Never close the door to a good design or an interesting design. There is always something to be learned or inspired by.

Here is another image that made me take a second look. I would do this look. It has colors and elements that I do love. I love the symmetry. The large piece of art is a stand-out and the flowers in the green vases completes the look for me.



This is another room that made me stop and look twice. I love many of the elements in this room, but I probably would not do this in my own home.

The point is, although I would not do it in my home, it still makes me stop and look twice. If a room makes you take a second look, stop and take the time to figure out why? Your initial reaction might be, " I would never do that!" and that might be true,but there was still something that made you stop and look twice. Take the time to figure out what it was.

  •  In the first picture what stopped me were the colors and the overall composition of textures and live plants.
  • The second picture it was the colors, the large piece of art and the pop of green in the vases filled with flowers.
  • The last picture the softness of the colors, the feminine quality of the furniture lines and the elegance.
What do you think? Did anything in the above imaes  catch your eye or would you just have turned the page and dismissed all of these images? Next time you go back and take a second look at something that you really don't think you like. STOP!! and study it and see which elements made you go back for a Second Look!!

“Enjoy the Process” Of:
Discovering something outside the box that draws you in and studying it!
Kathysue

17 comments:

Jules said...

The third image was stop and take a second look although I would have to say that is not me anymore! Enjoying my visit as always have a great weekend. xx

tinyskillet said...

I do like to check out rooms that make me stop and look and although I love them, like you I wouldn't necessarily use it in my room. The first one I love the texture of the tables and the dark shelves do make a statement. The second one I like the colors, but it's too symmetrical for my taste. I love the third one with the touch of pink...although I would use aqua. The chandelier is interesting, but a little over the top. I live in and older Florida home, so it could not handle a lot of the over the top! :D

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Hi Kathysue,
This is such a great post! Are you an interior designer? I was at a design seminar on Thursday and this is exactly what they talked about.
Find out why we love a certain picture in a decor mag. Is it the color, style, wood, accent pieces... Then we have an idea of how to translate that into our home decor. It was facinating... just like this post!
I think you nailed it! I'm bookmarking your post as a reference.
I'm so happy to stop today!
Yvonne

Sue said...

I actually like the first room the best...which is odd because it has antlers and animal/tree things that I wouldn't have in my house. The thing is, it really works well together and that is so pleasing to the eye. The last room is pretty but way too formal for my taste. I love the elements in the second room, but I avoid symmetry (while you love it) so I would arrange the elements differently.

Blondie's Journal said...

The last picture is more my style although I don't know if I would do a room with so much white, I need a little more color, if only subtle. I do believe what you say is true, if we stop for that one extra second, then we have spotted something we like!

xoxo
Jane

Kathysue said...

Yvonne, thank you for asking. Yes, I am a retired design consultant. I consulted for 30 years and now I am writing a blog. I use to use my consults as an in-home personal decorating lesson for my clients. I guess I am a teacher at heart with a passion for design!!

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

I love that first photo and agree, it's not completely filled with things I'd use in my home but I can appreciate and admire it elsewhere. I love the contrast in colors and the natural elements in this. It's striking but also somewhat calming. Very nice!

Nancy

vignette design said...

I like the first image for it's organic feel, and the other two for their symmetry. Although I wouldn't necessarily do any of the above photos for my own, I still can appreciate them for a second look.
I'm off on a new direction: a photo journal. Now my eye is seeing everything in more detail. I'm taking a second look at everything! Check it out if you get a chance. The link is on my blog.
Hope you are enjoying the weekend and cooler weather my friend.
xo Delores

Unknown said...

I've had a love fest for they lavender painting since I first saw it. You know me...that's how I approach design photos as well. I love to examine what I see and think about what I like about it. I can scan over pictures by the hours, and every once in a while, something will knock my socks off and I have to study it more. This is a great post with really interesting examples. Love it!

Anonymous said...

That first picture is similar to all the taxidermy we are seeing lately...and not something I would ever use! Interesting to look at (maybe...) and the textures are always interesting.
The second one I love purely for the color...green has always been a favorite of mine, and I really like the lime used in so many pieces and again, with different textures...

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Interesting Kathysue. I would probably use some of the rough textures in the first picture, and I do love the green in the second picture. Both of these take large space and a lot of open area around it to carry it off. I like the elegance of the third picture, but it is just too formal for me. Very interesting exercise. Hope you are having a super weekend. I am sewing pillows. Fun. Hugs, Marty

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I do stop and take second looks and three and four. I go back and look at pictures I find interesting over and over. Now I just need to realize why.

Pinky said...

I really like the first image. I would use the baskets and bowls but NOT the antlers:) I have a similar piece that my hubby built in our guest room. It is light oak but we painted the wall behind it black so all the decorative items POP! They are all African pieces that my FIL brought home (he was a pilot) and pieces we ahve collected. I LOVE the look!!! Thanks for this post! XO, Pinky

Privet and Holly said...

I would notice
the last two;
the second one
due to the oversize
canvas and the third
one due to the use
of the mirrors.
Great tips, Kathysue!
xx Suzanne

Kellie Collis said...

That last shot made my heart skip a beat!~ Have a gorgeous weekend! x

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

I loved this post, I even made a note so I could copy it later...lol On the first one, the fake plants were the only thing I would not use...lol I would do the 2nd one and I would not do the 3rd one, but yes, all are interesting . Thanks

style chronicle said...

Great thoughts! It is good to stop and look at the multiple layers of a space. That second image is so me!!